Code review request: 6755701 SecretKeySpec & DES

Brad Wetmore bradford.wetmore at oracle.com
Tue Jul 2 21:20:51 UTC 2013

It's not common to use this style:

   74             throw new InvalidKeySpecException
   75                     ("Inappropriate key specification");

but rather:

     throw new InvalidKeySpecException(
         "Inapp...");

Also, what happens in the case that the size doesn't match up with what
DESKey's constructor needs?  For example, if you provide 7 bytes, won't
that throw a InvalidKeyException and thus you get a null back from
engineGenerateSecret?  The SecretKeyFactory.generateSecret() API doesn't
mention anything about possibly getting a null back.

I know that's the existing behavior, but that seems fishy to me.  Bug in
API?

Brad