Fwd: Kitten Digest, Vol 104, Issue 14

Mayank Upadhyay mayank+ietf-kitten at google.com
Fri Jul 19 05:34:04 UTC 2013

Hi Weijun,

You point out a legitimate problem, but I want to understand a couple of
assumptions:

   1. Why allow only initSecContext() and acceptSecContext() to have this
   new behavior? Imagine a mechanism built on top of TLS which is
   renegotiating the session intermixed with actual payload, and had some
   error it wanted to communicate to the peer (e.g., a TLS Alert). Is there
   any particular reason you'd like to avoid that scenario?

   2. I didn't quite follow the comment about the default method (maybe it
   shows that my Java is dated :). GSSException is not an interface but a
   concrete class, and adding a method to it adds it in the JRE starting at
   some particular version. What happens when applications that call the new
   method are run on an older JRE?

   3. Don't we also need to set this token when the mechanism creates a
   GSSException instance? Note that the concrete class has no setter methods
   of any kind at this time, but two constructors.

Thanks,
Mayank