RFR: 8010785: JDK 8 build on Linux fails with new build mechanism

Erik Joelsson erik.joelsson at oracle.com
Tue Jun 11 10:23:57 UTC 2013

On 2013-06-11 10:59, David Holmes wrote:
> On 11/06/2013 5:47 PM, Erik Joelsson wrote:
>>

>> On 2013-06-11 09:22, David Holmes wrote:
>>> Erik,

>>> You never addressed this. Was there some reason not to put a check in
>>> the Makefile?
>>>
>> Right, I started to look at it but gave it some more thought.
>> BUILD_CRYPTO=no will only be set when building with closed present and
>> not setting --enable-openjdk-only. The logic in the closed configure for
>> this variable will be skipped if --enable-openjdk-only is given. So even
>> if a licensee with a security purged source tree is trying to do this,
>> the failure will be missing source code when compiling java classes and
>> the variable BUILD_CRYPTO will still be unset, making a makefile check
>> pointless.
>>
>> For the pure open case, why would anyone get the idea to set
>> BUILD_CRYPTO=no on the command line? I'm sure we have a number of
>> variables that would screw up the build if set to random values on the
>> command line and we can't really be expected to check all of them. For
>> this I would think the comment explaining about the variable in
>> CreateJars.gmk should be enough to discourage anyone to go about and set
>> it.
>>
>> So to sum it up, I couldn't come up with a situation where both of these
>> variables would be set to conflicting values, that was likely enough to
>> warrant an explicit check.
>
> Okay. Seemed like a simple sanity check to me without a need for too
> much thought :)

You were indeed correct to bring it up and I was close to adding a
check. But when weighing the pros and cons of where to put it, I started
thinking about when it would be triggered, and discovered that I
couldn't really trigger it. At that point it felt silly to implement it.
Thanks for the review!

/Erik