Code Review request: 8028591: NegativeArraySizeException in sun.security.util.DerInputStream.getUnalignedBitString()

Sean Mullan sean.mullan at oracle.com
Wed Feb 5 14:37:14 UTC 2014

Hi Artem,

The specific fix looks fine, but there are many other calls to
getLength() in DerInputStream that subsequently initialize an array with
the return value, and could also cause the same issue. It seems to me
that a better fix would be to pass a flag to the getLength method (or
create a new method) and if the flag is true, throw an IOException if an
indefinite length encoding is used (instead of returning -1). Then, for
the encodings where it is illegal to use the indefinite-length method,
change the code to call the method with the flag set to true.

--Sean