Review Request of JDK Enhancement Proposal: OCSP stapling

Xuelei Fan xuelei.fan at oracle.com
Fri May 9 12:25:55 UTC 2014

On 5/9/2014 4:54 PM, Florian Weimer wrote:
> On 05/06/2014 04:05 PM, Xuelei Fan wrote:

>>> I think the server side would benefit from an API which allows code to
>>> directly supply the OCSP response to be stapled, perhaps as part of the
>>> extended trust manager.
>>>
>> Typically, OCSP response is time-variant.  Ideally, the response should
>> be retrieved and updated internally, in time and automatically.  For the
>> first stage, I only want to implement the essential feature, and keep
>> the footprint as small as possible.
>
> I think we need a non-blocking way to inject the OCSP response into
> SSLEngine.

Yes. The delegated task can be used to get the OCSP response.

> And from a deployment perspective, we really need to provide something
> that avoids making the OCSP request directly (or through an HTTP proxy).
>  Access to external resources is often quite restricted, and due to the
> way OCSP has been specified, it is rather difficult to proxy it without
> providing a generic web proxy service.

Really good point!  In SunJSSE provider, the PKIXRevocationChecker can
be used to get the OCSP response.  However, this cannot apply to
customized key/trust manager.  I will consider to add new APIs to allow
the supply of OCSp response, probably in key manager, in this JEP or an
additional small enhancement later.

Thanks,
Xuelei