RFR 8044500: Add kinit options and krb5.conf flags that allow users to obtain renewable tickets and specify ticket lifetimes

Wang Weijun weijun.wang at oracle.com
Tue Nov 18 07:02:56 UTC 2014

> On Nov 18, 2014, at 07:43, Valerie Peng <valerie.peng at oracle.com> wrote:
>

> The default value 0 for the "renew_lifetime" is documented in MIT's Kerberos conf documentation. http://web.mit.edu/kerberos/krb5-devel/doc/admin/conf_files/krb5_conf.html
> However, I am not sure how this 0 value should be interpreted/handled.

From what I observe, MIT kinit by default sends a null rtime. So it is the same as us.

On the other hand, MIT kinit default sets RENEWABLE_OK, so it always receives a renewable ticket and the renewable lifetime set by KDC. In Java, we only set it when "renewable = true" is included in krb5.conf (see KDCOptions::setDefault), so by default java kinit gets a non-renewable ticket.

Thanks
Max