URLStreamHandler.getHostAddress() performance

Wang Weijun weijun.wang at oracle.com
Tue Nov 25 12:58:36 UTC 2014

> On Nov 25, 2014, at 20:25, Pavel Rappo <pavel.rappo at oracle.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Max,
>
> I don't see any particular reason for this. Maybe it's just a "precaution". It seems to me it's the only field
> of the URL class set directly (without setter) from an outside.
>
> Does it hurt performance a lot? In what cases?

There is a 7x difference in my experiment on SecureClassLoader.defineClass().

Or, it can be shown using this benchmark:

package org.openjdk.bench;

import org.openjdk.jmh.annotations.*;

import java.io.IOException;
import java.net.URL;
import java.util.*;
import java.util.concurrent.ConcurrentHashMap;

@State(Scope.Benchmark)
public class Weird {
    final int num = 100;
    final Object[] urls = new Object[num];

    public static class CS {
        private final Object url;
        public CS(Object url) { this.url = url; }
        public int hashCode() { return url.hashCode(); }
        public boolean equals(Object o) { return o instanceof CS && url.equals(((CS)o).url); }
    }

    private final Map<Object, Object> pdcacheC = new ConcurrentHashMap<>();

    @Setup
    public void init() throws Exception {
        for (int i=0; i< num; i++) {
            urls[i] = new URL("file:/tmp/"+i);
        }
    }

    @State(Scope.Thread)
    public static class ThreadState {
        final Random rand = new Random();
    }

    @Benchmark
    public void setC(ThreadState state) throws IOException {
        Object cs = new CS(urls[next(state)]);
        pdcacheC.computeIfAbsent(cs, x -> "");
    }

    private int next(ThreadState state) {