Further Defenses for the Security Manager

Michael Maass mmaass at andrew.cmu.edu
Thu Oct 30 14:44:25 UTC 2014

 >Since java.security.Security properties are themselves protected by
permission, why not "cut out the middleman" and just have a permission
type which grants permission to load such a class directly?  Or is this
what you're trying to avoid?  (If so, then it seems you need to add a:
1a. If a self-protecting manager is set, security properties can never
be modified.)

You are correct on the latter point and 1a should have been specified.

 >Also by "more privileged" I assume you mean, the protection domain of
the class being loaded specifies permissions that the security manager
class' protection domain itself does not imply?

This is correct.

 >Enforcing rule 2 is as simple as refusing any permission check for
modifying the security manager, regardless of source protection domain,
correct?

Also correct. If a self-protecting manager is set, no protection domain
should change the manager.

Michael