RFR: 8065553: Failed Java web start via IPv6 (Java7u71 or later)

Rob McKenna rob.mckenna at oracle.com
Wed Jan 28 16:10:14 UTC 2015

Hi folks,

There is a problem in sun/security/util/HostnameChecker.java matchIP
method. When comparing an ipv6 address with its abbreviated counterpart
the comparison will fail. I'm open to a more efficient way of comparing
these addresses (perhaps a utility method to abbreviate an ipv6 string)
but this seems to do the job.

http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~robm/8065553/webrev.01/

(btw, though this is a security component, it does seem to have a strong
networking slant, so feel free to redirect me to net-dev)

     -Rob