[Update]: JEP 249 (OCSP Stapling for TLS)

Jamil Nimeh jamil.j.nimeh at oracle.com
Wed Jul 1 02:02:15 UTC 2015

On 06/30/2015 06:04 PM, Xuelei Fan wrote:
> On 7/1/2015 6:39 AM, Jamil Nimeh wrote:
>>> src/java.base/share/classes/sun/security/ssl/HandshakeMessage.java
>>> ==================================================================
>>> line 713/714, 730/731 throws SSLHandshakeException for extension
>>> constructor in server side.  That's unlikely to happen, I think.  I was
>>> wondering, if CertificateStatus cannot be constructed, the server may
>>> not want to send the message, rather than terminate the connection
>>> immediately.
>> I think you're right.  While the exception is unlikely, I'd like to have
>> the HandshakeMessage throw the exception if something bad happens.  I do
>> however, agree that we shouldn't make it a fatal error.  I'll catch the
>> exception in ServerHandshaker, log it, and just not send the message as
>> you suggested since that is legal.  OK?
> I have not read the server side implementation.  I would like firstly
> check whether the message should be delivered, and than new the
> instance.  Exception catching is not performance friendly, and looks a
> little bit not-straightforward.  I think you may want a static method
> for the validity checking in CertificateStatus class,  instead.
As it is written today, the ServerHandshaker will only create a new
CertificateStatus instance if the following is true:

  * Stapling has already been activated in the server (meaning that the
    client requested it and the server has the feature enabled)
  * A "get" operation was done from the StatusResponseManager and at
    least one OCSP response was returned.  In other words, if no
    even asserting status_request[_v2] in the ServerHello.

I don't see the advantage of making a static method that does what is
already accomplished in two lines of code in ServerHandshaker (873-4).

> It's OK to throw exception if something bad happens.  For easy reading,
> please have a comment that it is unlikely to happen if you keep the
> throw exception blocks.
Okay, I can definitely do that.  There are some cases where I think we
need to throw an exception, particularly on the constructor from a
HandshakeInStream.  That's a case where we want the client to Alert if
the server asserts some weird/unsupported/illegal type or does something
like type = ocsp and a zero length response (also illegal according to
the spec).  Zero length responses are OK for ocsp_multi, though.