[Update]: JEP 249 (OCSP Stapling for TLS)

Sean Mullan sean.mullan at oracle.com
Tue Jun 30 18:35:06 UTC 2015

Hi Jamil,

On 06/27/2015 11:06 AM, Jamil Nimeh wrote:
> Hello all, I've posted an updated webrev based on comments I've received
> so far:
>
> http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~jnimeh/reviews/8046321/webrev.1

I didn't have time to review the tests yet but was able to review most
of the code in the other files, except for StatusResponseManager which I
believe has been reviewed already. Here are my comments ...

General comments:

- the text after an @param or @throws tag generally starts with a
lower-case letter, ex: "the ...". I noticed you started many of these
with a capital letter. Also some of the {@link}s to common classes like
String and List are probably unnecessary esp. for javadoc of internal
methods.

- I'm not sure if this is the case, but you can generally avoid cloning
or making copies of parameters if the usage is internal and they don't
cross the supported API boundary. There may be some unnecessary clones
of the encoded OCSP response bytes.

- For new classes and methods, don't make them public unless they are
needed outside of the package. Make them private or package-private, if
called by other classes in the same package. I'm not sure if this is the
case, but just a general comment/thing to check.

* ExtendedSSLSession

120: "Obtains" sounds like invoking this method causes a network request
to get it. Suggest "Returns" instead.

* ServerHandshaker

59: can you add what time unit this is to the comment?

* X509TrustManagerImpl

addResponses looks like it isn't called by anything and can be removed.

--Sean