Questions on deprivileging a module

Wang Weijun weijun.wang at oracle.com
Tue Jul 5 07:15:41 UTC 2016

> On Jul 5, 2016, at 2:52 PM, Alan Bateman <Alan.Bateman at oracle.com> wrote:
>
> On 04/07/2016 07:03, Wang Weijun wrote:
>
>> I am working on
>>
>>    JDK-8159528 Deprivilege java.security.jgss, jdk.security.jgss and jdk.security.auth
>>    https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8159528
>>
>> Several questions:
>>
>> 1. How does updating <top>/make/common/Modules.gmk affect an exploded build?
> The mappings are used for both exploded and images build so the configuration in this make file is for both.

I see. BTW, which file contain the mappings?

>> 2. I am using Unsafe in two places, once to rewrite a final filed in clone() [1], and another to call unsafe.ensureClassInitialized(KeyTab.class) so that I can call a non-public method there [2], but it seems a platform module cannot use Unsafe. Is there new ways to do these? What I can do now is 1) make it non-final 2) call a method in KeyTab to get it initialized.
> Can you say any more on this? When you say "a platform module cannot use Unsafe" then do you mean a compilation error? Are you attempting to use sun.misc.Unsafe without a dependency on jdk.unsupported?

I am using Unsafe in jdk.internal.misc, at least that's what the code is using now.

It's a runtime error.

@CallerSensitive
public static Unsafe getUnsafe() {
    Class<?> caller = Reflection.getCallerClass();
    if (!VM.isSystemDomainLoader(caller.getClassLoader()))
        throw new SecurityException("Unsafe"); <<<<<< The exception thrown
    return theUnsafe;
}

Just tried the one in jdk.unsupported, same error.

>> 3. I thought I can add something like
>>
>> grant codeBase "file://${java.home}/modules/java.security.jgss" {
>>         permission java.security.AllPermission;
>> };
>>
>> into java.policy so I can test with an exploded build. However, I see exceptions on ("java.lang.RuntimePermission" "accessClassInPackage.sun.security.util") not granted. The exception is not thrown when I am testing with an image build. Is there any way I can avoid it?
>>
> Can you provide the stack trace or better, the output when running with -Djava.security.debug=failure,access.

Sorry but I cannot reproduce the failure now. Test is passing. No idea why. I did several make images since yesterday.

Thanks
Max