[9] RFR: JDK-7052815 Change tests that remove or add providers to run in othervm mode

Wang Weijun weijun.wang at oracle.com
Fri Jul 8 15:23:37 UTC 2016

Hi Tim

Are we seeing new failures in these tests?

I am asking this question because once upon a time (4 years ago) I was involved in several RFEs [1][2][3] to do some similar the same cleanup. Some tests were put into othervm mode, but for most others, we tried our best to make them runnable in samevm/agentvm mode for performance benefits. For example, in test/java/security/Provider/RemoveProvider.java, the main method has

  39         ProvidersSnapshot snapshot = ProvidersSnapshot.create();
  40         try {
  41             main0(args);
  42         } finally {
  43             snapshot.restore();
  44         }

The ProvidersSnapshot class is meant to be able to restore the provider list after the test completes, and thus not necessary to run in othervm.

Also, I think there is no need to care about multiple tests running at the same time, because both samevm and agentvm modes make sure each VM is used in batch mode so no two tests can run simultaneously in the same VM. The agentvm mode does support concurrency but it's about multiple VMs running in parallel and each one will only serve one test at one time.

Thanks
Max

[4] http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~tidu/7052815/webrev.00/test/java/security/Provider/RemoveProvider.java.html