[9]RFR JDK-8160029: Security-libs tests need to avoid using jdk.testlibrary.Utils.getFreePort()

Weijun Wang weijun.wang at oracle.com
Mon Jul 11 06:16:17 UTC 2016

OK, so neither Windows not Linux is reusing the port number immediately.

But I don't want to rely on this observation. The Windows behavior is
especially suspicious because it is a simple increment. If the current
free port for UDP is n and for TCP is m and n < m, then after we get the
free UDP port n in the first round, we will have to loop from n to m
until we find a free TCP port. The Linux behavior looks like choosing a
random port. This is good but is it documented clearly? How about other
platforms?

IMHO controlling the randomness inside the test looks more reliable to
me. Also, the updated code still contains a loop and I don't think it's
a big enhancement comparing to the existing loop.

The bug description is worried about "test stabilization issues". Have
we seen intermittent failures on port already used in this case? If no,
then I don't think it's necessary to make a change here.

Thanks
Max