[9] RFR: 8159416: javax/net/ssl/DTLS/CipherSuite.java failed on timeout

Artem Smotrakov artem.smotrakov at oracle.com
Tue Jun 28 17:02:21 UTC 2016

Hi Xuelei,

Even if the tests keep using UDP to transfer data, they may not be
realistic since they run on local host. UDP implementation is based on
functions provided by OS. If I remember correctly, Solaris may do some
optimizations for localhost connections, so that no real networking
stack is used at all.

If we want to test DTLS with real connections, I believe we should do
the following:
1. Use two different machines
2. Make tests expect some issues with network and other environment

#1 requires starting server and client on different hosts which doesn't
seem to be possible with jtreg. Another option is to set up a remote server.

#2 may require ignoring errors, and re-trying connections. I am not sure
that we want to update existing tests with this.

I think it is better to focus on DTLS testing, and make tests more
stable. That's why I am proposing to use custom UDP sockets. If we want
to test real connections, then it should be different tests which take
into account #1 and #2 above.

Artem