RFR: 8170131: Certificates not being blocked by jdk.tls.disabledAlgorithms property

Sean Mullan sean.mullan at oracle.com
Tue Nov 22 13:19:45 UTC 2016

On 11/21/16 5:43 PM, Anthony Scarpino wrote:
> On 11/21/2016 01:09 PM, Sean Mullan wrote:
>> Please review this fix for a bug where certificates were not being
>> blocked if the algorithm is only listed in the
>> jdk.tls.disabledAlgorithms property and not the
>> jdk.certpath.disabledAlgorithms property.
>>
>> I have modified an existing regression test to test this functionality
>> as there was no previous test for this feature.
>>
>> webrev: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~mullan/webrevs/8170131/webrev.00/
>> bug: https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8170131
>>
>> --Sean
>
> Is the reason the if() is needed is
> constraints.permit(CerttConstraintParameters) is not in the
> SSLAlgorithmConstraints class and the method exception is suppressed?

SSLAlgorithmConstraints is not an instanceof
DisabledAlgorithmConstraints. When AlgorithmChecker.check is called, the
previous code (on line 329) would call
certPathDefaultConstraints.permits. This would pass, because the test
has configured jdk.certpath.disabledAlgorithms property to be empty. The
first time through, prevPubKey would also be null, so it would return on
line 335. It would never call SSLAlgorithmConstraints.permits.

Does that make sense?

--Sean