RFR 8189131: Open-source the Oracle JDK Root Certificates

Volker Simonis volker.simonis at gmail.com
Tue Dec 5 09:25:19 UTC 2017


On Tue, Dec 5, 2017 at 10:08 AM, Magnus Ihse Bursie
<magnus.ihse.bursie at oracle.com> wrote:
> On 2017-12-05 09:44, Volker Simonis wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Dec 5, 2017 at 9:19 AM, Magnus Ihse Bursie
>> <magnus.ihse.bursie at oracle.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> On 2017-12-01 18:16, Volker Simonis wrote:
>>>>
>>>> Hi Rajan,
>>>>
>>>> great to see this finally happen!
>>>>
>>>> I have just a quick question related to the tests. As far as I can
>>>> see, the tests will only succeed if the OpenJDK will be build with the
>>>> new open sourced, Oracle root certificates. But what if somebody is
>>>> building the OpenJDK with his own set of root certificates (by using
>>>> the --with-cacerts-file option)? Do you see any possibility of
>>>> restricting these tests only to builds which used the original,
>>>> checked in cacerts file?
>>>
>>>
>>> My question is if the --with-cacerts-file option is still relevant after
>>> this? I see a good chance of simplifying some build logic here. :-)
>>>
>> I think the folks from the AdoptOpenJDK project are using this option
>> (CC-ed adoption-discuss). I'm not sure if they want to drop their root
>> certificates in favor of the new ones.
>
> Maybe they can upstream their root certs as well, if it seems prudent?
>>
>> It general I think it would be useful to have something like
>> "--add-cacerts-file" which will merge in additional certificates
>> although this will most certainly complicate the build logic :)
>
> I see your point, but if the idea is that distributors should be able to
> supply their own set of root certs (which kind of makes sense, after all) we
> should probably keep the current functionality. Otherwise there's no way to
> remove a root cert, which is also something you might want to do (if a CA
> goes rouge, or whatever).
>
> But then again, I think this borders just on the line were it's reasonable
> for configure to provide an option to replace the file. If a distributor is
> not satisfied with the contents of a file in OpenJDK, they are always free
> to replace it. The normal way to do this is to use patches that are applied
> on top of the OpenJDK source distribution. If you want to have your own ca
> root store, you would just need a patch with your own file. Voilà! The only

I think the most common case would be that distributors want to add
their certificates to the existing ones? And that's not easily
achievable with a patch because the cacerts file is a binary file. So
you need to call keytool for importing additional certificates. It
would be of course convenient if this could happen as part of the
build process.

> reason this was made an option is that the OpenJDK distribution didn't
> include a root store at all by default, so *all* users needed to provide one
> for it to be usable. Now that this changes, the need to have build support
> to replace it diminishes greatly.
>
> /Magnus
>
>
>>
>> Regards,
>> Volker
>>
>>> /Magnus
>>>
>>>
>>>> Regards,
>>>> Volker
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> On Fri, Dec 1, 2017 at 5:54 PM, Rajan Halade <rajan.halade at oracle.com>
>>>> wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>> May I request for your review of this fix to open source the root
>>>>> certificates in Oracle's Java SE Root CA program. The fix is to
>>>>> populate
>>>>> cacerts keystore with root certificates and add corresponding tests for
>>>>> it
>>>>> as per the test plan outlined at JDK-8191711. interoperability tests
>>>>> are
>>>>> added against CAs with available test certificates.
>>>>>
>>>>> Webrev: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~rhalade/8189131/webrev.00/
>>>>> JEP: https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8191486
>>>>>
>>>>> Thanks,
>>>>> Rajan
>>>>>
>


More information about the security-dev mailing list