RFR: 8145337: [JVMCI] JVMCI initialization with SecurityManager installed fails: java.security.AccessControlException: access denied

Doug Simon doug.simon at oracle.com
Mon Jan 30 18:38:35 UTC 2017

> On 30 Jan 2017, at 17:11, Mandy Chung <mandy.chung at oracle.com> wrote:
>
> Moving it to platform class loader is okay with me.  I’m still unsure if jdk.vm.compiler should be defined by the boot loader instead and you may want to look into in a future release.

We also want jdk.vm.compiler to be upgradeable (as discussed in another thread) so that we can test newer development versions of Graal as the VM JIT via --upgrade-module-path instead of having to rebuild the JDK. As far as I understand, this means it cannot be defined by the boot loader.

> You can change make/common/Modules.gmk to move it to the PLATFORM_MODULES list.

I’ve extended the webrev with that change - please re-review:

http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~dnsimon/8145337_make/webrev

Strangely, there was no existing declaration of jdk.vm.compiler in Modules.gmk.

BTW, I never answered your question:

"How does JVMCI call out to jdk.vm.compiler?  does it load classes using Class::forName with the system class loader?”

It uses JVMCIServiceLocator[1] which is a mechanism built on the standard ServiceLoader.

-Doug

[1] http://hg.openjdk.java.net/jdk9/hs/hotspot/file/2c44cff993b8/src/jdk.vm.ci/share/classes/jdk.vm.ci.services/src/jdk/vm/ci/services/JVMCIServiceLocator.java#l29