RFR 8182999: SunEC throws ProviderException on invalid curves

Michael StJohns mstjohns at comcast.net
Mon Jul 10 17:55:53 UTC 2017

On 7/10/2017 12:59 PM, Adam Petcher wrote:
> This fix addresses an issue in which the provider behaves incorrectly
> when initialized with parameters for a curve that is not supported by
> the provider. If I am interpreting your suggestion correctly, it
> sounds like you are requesting a change to the set of curves that is
> supported by the provider. While this change may be a good idea, it is
> not within the scope of this ticket.
>
> If you want SunEC to support arbitrary curve parameters, you will need
> to create a separate ticket for that. I suspect this change would
> require a fair amount of work (if it is even possible), and it may not
> be worth the effort.

EC is designed around a general set of math.  The math depends on the
actual curve data (e.g. an EllipticCurve, a basepoint ECPoint g and an
order and cofactor  - all the components of ECParameterSpec).
ECGenParameterSpec is a simple wrapper around a string that's meant to
provide a easy way for a human to specify a preexisting set of curve
data.  When you get down into the provider its the math and the bits in
the ECParameterSpec that matter, not the string or oid in the
ECGenParameterSpec.

In any event, if you already have the curve data, then the fix is to
replace the groupings of "if (EC_DecodeParams(...) {}" with a routine to
fill the ECParams structure from the encodedParams you're passing in.
(at lines 118, 233,346, 429 in ECC_JNI.cpp).

That would look like a different version of EC_FillParams  (in
impl/ecdecode.c) - which actually decoded the algorithm parameter data
rather than just looking for an OID choice and filling in from there.

*sigh* It looks like ECParameters.java is also incomplete.

What I'm mostly trying to get at here is to decouple  or remove the list
of curves in ecdecode.c in favor of the list in the java stuff
(CurveDB.java) (or elsewhere).   The C code should mostly only have to
deal with the math and not the housekeeping.

Mike