RFR 8181299/10, Several jdk tests fail with java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: jdk/test/lib/process/StreamPumper

Ioi Lam ioi.lam at oracle.com
Thu Jun 1 22:37:58 UTC 2017

On 6/1/17 1:17 PM, Igor Ignatyev wrote:
>> On Jun 1, 2017, at 1:20 AM, Chris Hegarty <chris.hegarty at oracle.com> wrote:
>>
>> Igor,
>>
>>> On 1 Jun 2017, at 04:32, Igor Ignatyev <igor.ignatyev at oracle.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Felix,
>>>
>>> I have suggested the exact opposite change[1-3] to fix the same problem.
>> I’m sorry, but this is all just too confusing. After your change, who, or what, is
>> responsible for building/compiling the test library dependencies?
> jtreg is responsible, there is an implicit build for each @run, and jtreg will analyze a test class to get transitive closure for static dependencies, hence you have to have @build only for classes which are not in constant pool, e.g. used only by reflection or whose classnames are only used to spawn a new java instance.

I suspect the problem is caused by a long standing bug in jtreg that
results in library classes being partially compiled. Please see my
evaluation in

https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/CODETOOLS-7901986

In the bug report, there is test case that can reliably reproduce the
NoClassDefFoundError problem.

I think adding all the @build commands in the tests are just band-aids.
Things will break unless every test explicitly uses @build to build
every class in every library that they use, including all the private
classes that are not directly accessible by the test cases.

For example: doing this may be enough for now:

      * @build jdk.test.lib.process.*

But what if in the future, jdk.test.lib.process is restructured to have
a private package jdk.test.lib.process.hidden? To work around
CODETOOLS-7901986, all the test cases that must be modified to the
following, which unnecessarily exposes library implementation details to
the library users:

      * @build jdk.test.lib.process.* jdk.test.lib.process.hidden.*

Just imagine this -- "in order to use malloc() you must explicitly build
not only malloc(), but also sbrk() ... and every other function in
libc". That seems unreasonable to me.

By the way, we made a fix in the HotSpot tests (see
https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8157957) that got rid of many
(but not all) of the NoClassDefFoundErrors by *removing* the @build
lines .....

My proposal is, instead of just adding @build for band-aid, we should