RFR[11] JDK-8206171: Signature#getParameters for RSASSA-PSS throws ProviderException when not initialized

Valerie Peng valerie.peng at oracle.com
Fri Jul 13 02:01:41 UTC 2018

Hi Max,

The javadoc is for Signature.getParameters(), so null can be returned
for signature algorithms which do not use parameters, e.g.
SHA256withDSA. As Signature class covers all signature algorithms, I am
not sure about mentioning specific algorithm names as it may be lengthy
and even misleading unless we list out all applicable algorithms.

The part of "default and randomly generated" is inherited from existing
javadoc. I think "default" in the aforementioned sentence means
"hardcoded values". For example, something like salt length will likely
have a fixed default value. Since we have no control over 3rd party
providers, I think we may have to keep this for backward compatibility
reason. For RSASSA-PSS sig algorithm, it errors out if the required
parameter is not given. Thus, I added the sentence "If there are no
provider-specific default values, the underlying signature
implementation may also fail".

As for @throws, I debated about it. The main reason for not adding one
is consistency. Many (or should I say most) security classes do not have
@throws for ProviderException. If we were to add @throws
ProviderException here, we should do it across the board. Besides, it is
recommended to NOT document runtime exceptions which callers are not
prepared to handle.

Thanks,
Valerie