Allow to define the list of enabled named curves for EC cipher suites as Security Property

Sean Mullan sean.mullan at oracle.com
Mon Aug 19 13:45:37 UTC 2019

On 8/19/19 7:33 AM, Christian Schaefer wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Today, the list of enabled named curves for EC cipher suites can be
> specified as “System Property” (name of the system property is
> jdk.tls.namedGroups) in JDK 8 and later. It seems like it cannot be
> specified as “Security Property”. So unlike jdk.tls.disabledAlgorithms
> and jdk.certpath.disabledAlgorithms the property jdk.tls.namedGroups
> cannot be specified in the security properties file (i.e.
> lib/security/java.security).

In JDK 14, we have added the ability to restrict named groups (and
signature schemes) in the jdk.tls.disabledAlgorithms security property:

Does this address your concern?

> Is there any chance to enhance this in a future version so that
> jdk.tls.namedGroups can also be specified in the security properties
> file or is there a reason which I don’t see that explains why
> jdk.tls.namedGroups can only be specified as System Property?

There's no precise reason that I know of, but the default is typically
sufficient and secure for most applications and the system property
allows you to adjust it on a per-application basis. This is similar to
the system properties for the enabled cipher suites:
jdk.tls.client.cipherSuites and jdk.tls.server.cipherSuites.

Thanks,
Sean