RFR 8213031: (zipfs) Add support for POSIX file permissions

Langer, Christoph christoph.langer at sap.com
Tue Feb 12 21:57:23 UTC 2019

Hi Alan, all,

here comes the next proposal for POSIX support in jdk.zipfs - which hopefully represents the converged solution, at least in its overall design.

http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~clanger/webrevs/8213031.6/

With that patch, the behavior is the following:
a) A ZipFileSystem instance by default does NOT support the PosixFileAttributeView. However, it is possible to query for a known attribute named "zip:storedPermissions". Its value can be null to represent no  permission information or any set of PosixFileAttribute.
b) A ZipFileSystem instance can be created with the property "posix"=true. In that case, PosixFileAttributeView is supported with default values.
	-> owner: A UserPrincipal with the name of System.getProperty("user.name") if property access is allowed, "<zipfs_default>" otherwise
	-> group: A GroupPrincipal with the name "<zipfs_default>".
	-> permissions: Set.of(OWNER_READ, OWNER_WRITE, GROUP_READ)

	The default values can be modified by using the properties "defaultOwner", "defaultGroup" and "defaultPermissions".

Implementation wise the ZipFileAttributeView always extends PosixFileAttributeView but behaves different, depending on how it was obtained.

Within ZipFileSystem, the Entry inner class is not static any more but always has a reference to the Enclosing ZipFileSystem. That's needed because default owner/group/permission can be set on ZipFileSystem instance level now and the Entry, implementing the FileAttributes needs to know where it belongs to. This seems somewhat logical anyway.

The new test "TestPosix" is quite extensive. I had to add 2 permissions to test.policy to allow testing in a restricted environment.

Module-info and CSR have been adopted, too.

Thanks in advance for reviewing.

Best regards
Christoph