XML Digital Signature throws NAMESPACE_ERR exception under OpenJDK 11 that works under Java SE 8, 9 and 10

Sean Mullan sean.mullan at oracle.com
Wed Feb 13 14:03:33 UTC 2019

On 2/12/19 6:28 PM, Open eSignForms wrote:
> Thanks for the update, Sean.  I'm a bit perplexed because I found the
> original code works under Java 9 and Java 10, so it seems like the
> change occurred in Java 11.

Sorry, that was a typo, I meant to say JDK 11.

> I don't see the modified version of the test case.  If you attached it,
> it somehow didn't make it through to me.
>
> If it's just a matter of making the code more correct, we'd love to make
> the changes.  My concern, of course, is that we've already done millions
> of XML digital signatures, so we need that to continue to verify
> correctly (and even under Java 11, it seems that the verify code works
> against previously digitally signed content) even if we now start
> digitally signing using more update-to-date code.

The verification of pre-existing signatures should continue to work
regardless of how this bug is addressed.

> Please send over the modified test case and I'll take a look.

It is attached to the bug report in the Attachments section:
https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8218629 (make sure you download
the one I added yesterday).

--Sean