RFR: JDK-8257401: Use switch expressions in jdk.internal.net.http and java.net.http

Daniel Fuchs dfuchs at openjdk.java.net
Tue Dec 1 12:40:54 UTC 2020

On Tue, 1 Dec 2020 01:51:35 GMT, John Jiang <jjiang at openjdk.org> wrote:

> Do we have clear guideline or requirement for using this new lang feature?
> We know there are a lot of old switch-case blocks in the existing codes,
> including source codes and test codes.

@johnshajiang I don't think we have any global guideline but in this specific case I agree that using switch expressions as proposed is making the code generally more readable, with maybe a few cases where it might not have improved readability as much (for instance I'm not a big fan of line 54 in that file: https://github.com/openjdk/jdk/pull/1364/files#diff-ae0f662913a65511f983a3f0f9a98b708c11906a6f87aa4c96ab6fc7abf5ae9f )

best regards,

-- daniel