RFR: 8254631: Better support ALPN byte wire values in SunJSSE

Bradford Wetmore wetmore at openjdk.java.net
Tue Dec 1 21:27:12 UTC 2020

On Wed, 25 Nov 2020 20:03:01 GMT, Bradford Wetmore <wetmore at openjdk.org> wrote:

> Certain TLS ALPN values can't be properly read or written by the SunJSSE provider. This is due to the choice of Strings as the API interface and the undocumented internal use of the UTF-8 Character Set which converts characters larger than U+00007F into multi-byte arrays that may not be expected by a peer.
>
> Full details are available in:
>
> - Bug:  https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8254631
> - CSR:  https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8256817

I am not able to see the comment here in github due to the Terms of Use issue flagged by github, but did get email with the issue so I'm hoping/assuming that the terms have been accepted.

For this test, I just took the standard JSSE test template and added the few lines to check for the proper ALPN exchange.

I'm 99% sure that for the JDK testsuite, the default Charset is UTF-8 which will accept ASCII values like this.  If not, there's going to be a lot more problems.  :)

Consulted with the Sustaining Team, they requested that this note not be included, as the versions are not yet known.