RFR: 8241306: Add SignatureMethodParameterSpec subclass for RSASSA-PSS params [v3]

Sean Mullan mullan at openjdk.java.net
Fri Apr 9 17:26:30 UTC 2021

On Wed, 24 Mar 2021 21:39:28 GMT, Weijun Wang <weijun at openjdk.org> wrote:

>> Weijun Wang has updated the pull request incrementally with one additional commit since the last revision:
>>
>>   spec word change, no hashCode and equals, test change
>
> src/java.xml.crypto/share/classes/com/sun/org/apache/xml/internal/security/algorithms/implementations/SignatureBaseRSA.java line 588:
>
>> 586:
>> 587:         public enum DigestAlgorithm {
>> 588: //            SHA1("SHA-1", DigestMethod.SHA1, 20),
>
> Do we want to support "SHA-1"? It's considered weak and not the default but the RFC has not disabled it. Since we already have secure validation on by default, it does seem to be a security issue.
>
> The "RSASSA-PSS without Parameters" section at https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6931#section-2.3.10 also lists SHA-224 and SHA3-**. We should probably support them as well, or at least make sure we support the same algorithms in "without Parameters" and "with Parameters".

I'm ok with not supporting SHA-1, although adding it would not be a security issue. It is blocked by default now, but it can be re-enabled, and SHA-1 in general is still available in the JDK.

I'm fine with adding support for SHA-224 and SHA-3 as part of this issue. You can add support for all the algorithms that we have the underlying crypto support for.