RFR: 8264208: Console charset API [v4]

Ichiroh Takiguchi itakiguchi at openjdk.java.net
Tue Apr 13 12:58:00 UTC 2021

On Mon, 12 Apr 2021 23:01:24 GMT, Naoto Sato <naoto at openjdk.org> wrote:

>> Please review the changes for the subject issue.  This has been suggested in a recent discussion thread for the JEP 400 [[1](https://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/core-libs-dev/2021-March/075214.html)]. A CSR has also been drafted, and comments are welcome [[2](https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8264209)].
>
> Naoto Sato has updated the pull request incrementally with one additional commit since the last revision:
>
>   Reverted PrintStream changes

I have 2 concerns:
1. I think method name "charset()" is too short. It's not called frequently. This method name should explain functionality.
2. Sometimes stderr may be redirected to stdout by shell. Why do we need to set different encodings for these two (sun.stdout.encoding and sun.stderr.encoding) ?