JEP411: Missing use-case: Monitoring / restricting libraries

Chris Hegarty chris.hegarty at oracle.com
Wed Apr 28 10:51:02 UTC 2021

On 28 Apr 2021, at 11:38, Markus Gronlund <markus.gronlund at oracle.com<mailto:markus.gronlund at oracle.com>> wrote:

Hi Lim,

JFR specific feedback can be posted to: hotspot-jfr-dev at openjdk.java.net<mailto:hotspot-jfr-dev at openjdk.java.net>

Thanks Markus. That is the appropriate list to send JFR feedback.

Just to add, I filed an Enhancement Request in JIRA, 8265962: "Evaluate adding Networking JFR events” [1], to track the possibility of adding JFR events to the JDK libraries that perform low-level networking activity (which is mostly in the purview of the networking and libraries area). If we had such, then it would be possible to monitor *all* low-level network activity performed by the platform, regardless of which higher-level library is performing the activity. Clearly such would not capture URLs, but rather the network activity that would be triggered by, say, an HTTP Client library. This seems like a more fruitful and uniform approach, rather than trying to add JFR events to, say, every HTTP library.

-Chris.

Thanks
Markus