RFR: 8259886 : Improve SSL session cache performance and scalability [v2]

djelinski github.com+30433125+djelinski at openjdk.java.net
Thu Feb 4 19:19:42 UTC 2021

On Tue, 2 Feb 2021 12:19:22 GMT, djelinski <github.com+30433125+djelinski at openjdk.org> wrote:

>> If I get the patch right, the benchmark performance improvement is a trade-off between CPU and memory, by keeping expired entries while putting a new entry in the cache.  I'm not very sure of the performance impact on memory and GC collections.  Would you mind add two more types of benchmark: get the entries and remove the entries, for cases that there are 1/10, 1/4, 1/3 and 1/2 expired entries in the cache?  And increase the size to some big scales, like 2M and 20M.
>>
>> It looks like a spec update as it may change the behavior of a few JDK components (TLS session cache, OCSP stapling response cache, cert store cache, certificate factory, etc), because of "expired entries are no longer guaranteed to be removed before live ones".  I'm not very sure of the impact. I may suggest to file a CSR and have more eyes to check the compatibility impact before moving forward.
>
>> the benchmark performance improvement is a trade-off between CPU and memory, by keeping expired entries while putting a new entry in the cache
>
> Not exactly. The memory use is capped by cache size. The patch is a trade off between the cache's hit/miss ratio and CPU; we will get faster cache access at the cost of more frequent cache misses.
>
> All calls to `put()` remove expired items from the front of the queue, and never perform a full scan. `get()` calls shuffle the queue, moving the accessed item to the back. Compare this to original code where `put()` only removed expired items when the cache overflowed, and scanned the entire cache.
> Let me give some examples.
> **Example 1**: insertions at a fast pace leading to cache overflows and no expirations. Here the new implementation improves performance. Consider a cache with size=4, timeout=10, and the following sequence of events:
> T=1, put(1);
> T=2, put(2);
> T=3, put(3);
> T=4, put(4);
> Cache contents after these calls (same in old and new scenario). Queue order: least recently accessed items on the left, most recently accessed on the right. _K_ denotes cache key, _exp_ denotes entry expiration time and is equal to insertion time _T_ plus timeout:
>
> |K=1, exp=11|K=2, exp=12|K=3, exp=13|K=4, exp=14|
>
> If we now add another item to the queue, it will overflow. Here's where the implementations behave differently, but the outcome is identical: old one scans the entire list for expired entries; new one improves performance by ending the search for expired entries after encountering the first non-expired entry (which is the first entry in the above example). The end result is the same in both cases - oldest (least recently accessed) item is dropped:
> T=5, put(5)
>
> |K=2, exp=12|K=3, exp=13|K=4, exp=14|K=5, exp=15|

> [...]

Added benchmarks for get & remove. Added tests for 5M cache size. Switched time units to nanoseconds. Results:
Benchmark           (size)  (timeout)  Mode  Cnt    Score   Error  Units
CacheBench.get       20480      86400  avgt   25   62.999 ? 2.017  ns/op
CacheBench.get       20480          0  avgt   25   41.519 ? 1.113  ns/op
CacheBench.get      204800      86400  avgt   25   67.995 ? 4.530  ns/op
CacheBench.get      204800          0  avgt   25   46.439 ? 2.222  ns/op
CacheBench.get     5120000      86400  avgt   25   72.516 ? 0.759  ns/op
CacheBench.get     5120000          0  avgt   25   53.471 ? 0.491  ns/op
CacheBench.put       20480      86400  avgt   25  117.117 ? 3.424  ns/op
CacheBench.put       20480          0  avgt   25   73.582 ? 1.484  ns/op
CacheBench.put      204800      86400  avgt   25  116.983 ? 0.743  ns/op
CacheBench.put      204800          0  avgt   25   73.945 ? 0.515  ns/op
CacheBench.put     5120000      86400  avgt   25  230.878 ? 7.582  ns/op
CacheBench.put     5120000          0  avgt   25  192.526 ? 7.048  ns/op
CacheBench.remove    20480      86400  avgt   25   39.048 ? 2.036  ns/op
CacheBench.remove    20480          0  avgt   25   36.293 ? 0.281  ns/op
CacheBench.remove   204800      86400  avgt   25   43.899 ? 0.895  ns/op
CacheBench.remove   204800          0  avgt   25   43.046 ? 0.759  ns/op
CacheBench.remove  5120000      86400  avgt   25   51.896 ? 0.640  ns/op
CacheBench.remove  5120000          0  avgt   25   51.537 ? 0.536  ns/op