RFR: 8262438: sun/security/ssl/SSLLogger/LoggingFormatConsistency.java failed with "SocketException: Socket is closed"

Daniel Fuchs dfuchs at openjdk.java.net
Fri Feb 26 17:19:41 UTC 2021

On Fri, 26 Feb 2021 14:28:23 GMT, Evan Whelan <ewhelan at openjdk.org> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Please review my test fix relating to JDK-8262438
>
> This patch introduces as Thread.sleep at the start of each iteration which creates a new test jvm.
> This allows the server socket sufficient time to release the previous connection and allows the port to be used again.
>
> I also refactored the behaviour for when the exitCode is not 0, allowing for an easier to read output.
> An incorrect HttpsUrlConnection.disconnect() was also removed.
>
> The test was ran 100 times on all platforms and no failures were seen.
>
> Thanks,
> Evan

Hi Evan - I am a bit skeptical that the proposed fix will solve the issue. AFAICS the exception is raised by the server side - and if I read it correctly it happens when the server finds that the socket is already closed when it tries to close it. How could sleeping between 2 process invocation solve this? The port used is an ephemeral port - so it should never be the same?
Does the log show that the same port was being reused?