[External] : Re: JEP411: Missing use-case: Monitoring / restricting libraries

Peter Firmstone peter.firmstone at zeus.net.au
Fri May 7 10:17:10 UTC 2021

On 6/05/2021 9:46 pm, Ron Pressler wrote:

> Trying to convince people, at this point, after twenty five years that the Security Manager isn’t complicated after all might
> be too little too late.

Static policy, terrible performance, no scalability at all, and the fact
that you continually have to edit policy files manually, and there's no
auditing tools?

Ha ha ha. :)  It's complicated, ha ha ha, it hardly works!  Why would a
developer spend time writing concurrent code, then turn on security and
slow their hard work to a crawl?  That's why they simplify it and bypass
the policy.

No, complexity is not the problem.

It was a good design for 1997, but the java code it's written in is also
from 1997 with little maintenance since.

For shame.

 From my observations, the native code in AccessController is scalable
and performant and has little overhead, someone has done some very good
work there, that has to be more recent.   This is a very good piece of
work, very good indeed.

Sorry, I had to point out some truths.

My static policy (as stated previously there is a dynamic policy also)
is a direct drop in replacement, you could ship with that, it would be a
start.  You could even remove the Java policy implementation and I can
make my policy implementation available on Maven.  It's AL2.0 licensed,
I did look at donating it some time ago.   The code has provenance, I'm
not the sole author, I can only donate parts of it under GPL2.0

I can also donate the profiling tool.

The thing is, if it was performant, people would stop switching it off,
and if there were tools to handle policy complexity, then they will
start using it, they have to use it for Principal permissions.

Here's what OSGi does, they associate permissions with modules, to
reduce complexity:

https://docs.osgi.org/specification/osgi.core/8.0.0/service.condpermadmin.html

--
Regards,