Performance differences between Java 8,, 11, 14 and 16

Peter Firmstone peter.firmstone at zeus.net.au
Wed May 12 10:34:15 UTC 2021

Hi Alan,

Understood, not sure if I could give AccessController that kind of
workout using JDK classes alone, the library code is very performant.
It might be possible if AllPermission is granted and ClassLoaders are
created using only class bytes, without accessing files, to avoid using
the Java's PolicyFile, URLClassLoader, CodeSource and URL.  To be honest
though, it would be a reasonable size task, sorry, but I don't have
enough time.

Mahalo is a network transaction manager service, in the test it runs
through 1000 transactions, each with 1 to 9 network participants, each
participant is a proxy with a unique ProtectionDomain and ClassLoader
(represents Server identity in the client) that's making remote method
calls over TLS connections.

By the time the test complete's it's created over 20,000
ProtectionDomains and over 5,000 ClassLoader's, not all used at the same
time of course, but there are a number of codebases involved, so there
could be around 10 to 20 ProtectionDomain's in a call stack at the same
time, these are being replaced, so it gives the AccessController quite a
good workout.   Note these ProtectionDomains run using the principle of
least privilege.

Even TLSv1.3's overhead is un-noticable, it's basically only limited by
the speed of the underlying network sockets.

Thank you to the developers who made TLSv1.3 run so well.

https://imgur.com/VcSwffC

https://imgur.com/VcSwffC

https://imgur.com/hmFPnAW

https://imgur.com/IcUXzNK