[External] : Re: JEP411: Missing use-case: Monitoring / restricting libraries

Peter Firmstone peter.firmstone at zeus.net.au
Tue May 18 09:46:14 UTC 2021

Because people have been treating it like a sandbox.

Since it will take a number of years, can we at least consider my
proposal and give it a try?  It may reduce the burden in the interim.

So this step deprecates it for removal, can we create a JEP for
replacing the SecurityManager with AccessAssistant while retaining
AccessController and AccessControlContext?

It's also true that Permisssion's are more numerous than necessary,
because it has been treated like a sandbox.

If we rename and treat it like access control instead, we can reduce the
burden, simplify permissions, provide tooling and make it much better
than it is today.

We've been doing exactly that for years, and we knew the Java PolicyFile
code was bad, but we never realised that JDK developers saw it in this
light.

If I had realised that , I would have stepped in years ago to fix it.
Maybe we got complacent because nothing was ever removed from Java for a
very long time.

We've been using it silently and efficiently for years.

Regards,

Peter.

--
Regards,