[External] : Re: JEP411: Missing use-case: Monitoring / restricting libraries

Dalibor Topic dalibor.topic at oracle.com
Fri May 21 10:47:52 UTC 2021

On 21.05.2021 03:40, Peter Firmstone wrote:
> If there are those of us who wanted to maintain a fork of Java 17,
> focused on security, we could backport new features after they've been
> reviewed for security.
>
> Would we be welcomed to do that here?  Otherwise is it something we
> should do on GitHub?

Once a Project Lead resigns, or in the case of a repository in the JDK
Updates Project, a repository lead maintainer resigns, someone
sufficiently qualified to do so is welcome to step up and continue
maintaining a release under the umbrella of the JDK Updates Project.

Please see http://openjdk.java.net/projects/jdk-updates/maintainers.html
for details, and keep in mind that as any process, it's open to change
through discussion on the jdk-updates-dev mailing list.

Ideas like differently focused repositories were discussed for JDK 11 in
the past on that list, but the discussion was inconclusive, fwiw. It's
worth keeping in mind that adequately maintaining an update release is
by no means a trivial affair, and as such, there is usually little
desire in the long run to balkanize the comparatively sparse community
of OpenJDK update release maintainers across vastly different
approaches, even if that may initially seem appealing for various reasons.

cheers,
dalibor topic

--
<http://www.oracle.com> Dalibor Topic
Consulting Product Manager
<tel:+491737185961>, Video: dalibor.topic at oracle.com
<sip:dalibor.topic at oracle.com>

Oracle Global Services Germany GmbH
Registergericht: Amtsgericht München, HRB 246209
Geschäftsführer: Ralf Herrmann