RFR: 8294241: Deprecate URL public constructors [v2]

Peter Firmstone peter.firmstone at zeus.net.au
Tue Nov 1 00:50:59 UTC 2022

Some additional information that may be helpful:

org.apache.river.api.net.Uri has method signatures in common with
java.net.URI, due to its development history.

    The implementation was originally part of Apache Harmony which was
    RFC2396 compliant (Harmony's implementation of java.net.URI), it was
    copied and updated to RFC3986 in Apache River, breaking
    compatibility with RFC2396, both projects are now in Apache Attic
    (no longer under development).   JGDMS (a fork of Apache River, also
    known as Jini donated by Sun Microsystems to Apache) added support
    for RFC5952 and RFC6874. The provenance / development history is known.

    Implementation classes:

    https://github.com/pfirmstone/JGDMS/blob/trunk/JGDMS/jgdms-platform/src/main/java/org/apache/river/api/net/URIEncoderDecoder.java

    https://github.com/pfirmstone/JGDMS/blob/trunk/JGDMS/jgdms-platform/src/main/java/org/apache/river/api/net/Uri.java

    https://github.com/pfirmstone/JGDMS/blob/trunk/JGDMS/jgdms-platform/src/main/java/org/apache/river/api/net/UriParser.java

org.apache.river.api.net.Uri is not Serializable, however java.net.Uri
only has one serializable field.

If you wanted to document and understand what RFC3986 breaks in the JDK,
it would be possible to temporarily copy paste the implementation of
org.apache.river.api.net.Uri into java.net.URI and run the test suite.

That might assist in deciding whether to update java.net.URI or to
create a new URI RFC3986 implementation leaving java.net.URI as it is
and deprecating it.

Regards,

Peter.