RFR: 8295146: Clean up native code with newer C/C++ language features [v3]

Kim Barrett kbarrett at openjdk.org
Tue Nov 15 06:42:59 UTC 2022

On Tue, 15 Nov 2022 00:49:59 GMT, Julian Waters <jwaters at openjdk.org> wrote:

>> make/hotspot/lib/CompileJvm.gmk line 67:
>>
>>> 65:   # Hotspot cannot handle an empty build number
>>> 66:   VERSION_BUILD := 0
>>> 67: endif
>>
>> I think the proposed "solution" is *much* worse than this.
>
> Reverted to use the original, less intrusive solution from [8274980](https://github.com/openjdk/jdk/pull/11081/commits/83ed3deb29d7344bbc95a3831f2388d077bc59e9) that initially could not work with the older Visual C++ compiler (With a minor improvement to handle #define 0)

Sorry, but I don't think that's much better than the prior version, and still doesn't seem better than the current code.  What problem is this change supposed to be solving?  I didn't find any open bugs that seemed relevant (could be I just didn't recognize such).  Whatever it is seems likely to be unrelated to any of the other changes in this PR; it would have been / would be better to deal with it separately.