RFR: JDK-8313764: Offer JVM HS functionality to shared lib load operations done by the JDK codebase

Matthias Baesken mbaesken at openjdk.org
Mon Aug 14 10:21:00 UTC 2023

On Mon, 14 Aug 2023 07:48:00 GMT, Matthias Baesken <mbaesken at openjdk.org> wrote:

> Currently there is a number of functionality that would be interesting to have for shared lib load operations in the JDK C code.
> Some examples :
> Events::log_dll_message for hs-err files reporting
> JFR event NativeLibraryLoad
> There is the need to update the shared lib Cache on AIX ( see LoadedLibraries::reload() , see also https://bugs.openjdk.org/browse/JDK-8314152 ),
> this is currently not fully in sync with libs loaded form jdk c-libs and sometimes reports outdated information
>
> Offer an interface (e.g. jvm.cpp) to support this.

Hi Alan,

> JDK-8314152 seems to very AIX specific with shared lib caching that I would hope complicate interfaces for other ports.

yes this is of course AIX specific.  However I found something that might be similar on Windows, there we have in case of successful LoadLibrary in  os::dll_load   calls to  SymbolEngine::recalc_search_path();
However I did not check the details on this; but for AIX we have a real problem with outdated/incomplete stacks in hs_err files.