RFD: Services lockdown for security providers

Sean Mullan sean.mullan at oracle.com
Thu Jul 13 16:06:20 UTC 2023

One other comment that I thought of - is that from a practical
standpoint, I think it will be hard to unilaterally disable an algorithm
at the JCE layer unless it is so broken that almost no code ever uses
it, say MD2 or RC2. There may be cases where a weak algorithm is
acceptable, for example using MD5 for a checksum. (For a real example,
UUID.nameUUIDFromBytes uses MD5 to generate a UUID).

If you have a single case in your application where a weak algorithm is
ok to use, you won't be able to disable it across the board.

At the risk of complicating your syntax and implementation, it may be
worth exploring adding the name of a class to the syntax for cases like
this. But my comment is more about thinking about this a bit more first.

Or perhaps adding some extensibility into the format would be a good
idea in case we want to add something like this down the line.

--Sean