RFR: 6478546: FileInputStream.read() throws OutOfMemoryError when there is plenty available

Alan Bateman alanb at openjdk.org
Mon Jul 24 13:19:45 UTC 2023

On Mon, 24 Jul 2023 09:16:23 GMT, Vyom Tewari <vtewari at openjdk.org> wrote:

>> Limit native memory allocation and move write loop from the native layer into Java. This change should make the OOME reported in the issue much less likely.
>
> src/java.base/share/native/libjava/io_util.c line 99:
>
>> 97:         return 0;
>> 98:     } else if (len > BUF_SIZE) {
>> 99:         if (len > MAX_MALLOC_SIZE)
>
> Hi Brian if I am reading code correctly then with the current code change FIS.read(byte[] b, int off, int len) will always read (MAX_MALLOC_SIZE 2097152) bytes if len > MAX_MALLOC_SIZE.
>
> The java doc of read  as below
>
> public int read(byte[] b,
>                 int off,
>                 int len)
>          throws IOException
> Reads up to len bytes of data from the input stream into an array of bytes. An attempt is made to read as many as len bytes, but a smaller number may be read. The number of bytes actually read is returned as an integer.
>
> I think  if you are limiting the internal dynamic buffer to 2097152 byte then you have  to at least attempt to read as many as len bytes if possible before returning.
>
> If I simply the run the following code
>
> 	    int size = 501 * 501 * 501 * 3;
>
>             FileInputStream fis = new FileInputStream("/home/vyom1/test.img"); // Any file with size >= 501*501*501*2
>
>             System.out.println("size: " + size);
>
>             byte buf[] = new byte[size];
>
>             System.out.println("buf ok");
>
>             int bytesRead = fis.read(buf, 0, size);
>             System.out.println("Bytes read " + bytesRead);
>
> It will always print “Bytes read 2097152” which is not as per Java specification of InputStream.read(byte[]b, int off, int len).

A short read is okay but changing long standing behavior could potentially break already broken code that calls the method with a large byte array and assumes it will read to EOF. So I think it's a forced move to read until there is no space remaining or EOF is reached. This is logic for the Java level, not the native code of course. If an I/O exception is on the second/subsequent reads then it will have to return the bytes that are read, not throw with bytes in the buffer.