RFR: 8304478: Initial nroff manpage generation for JDK 22

Archie Cobbs acobbs at openjdk.org
Wed Jun 14 19:23:59 UTC 2023

On Wed, 14 Jun 2023 04:53:58 GMT, David Holmes <dholmes at openjdk.org> wrote:

> The following changes, to javac.1, were never applied to the closed sources and are "lost" by this update. These changes will need to be re-applied directly in JDK 21 and JDK 22

Just curious, since you have access to the secret closed sources, can you not backport these changes yourself? Instead of just deleting them and expecting someone else to rescue them from oblivion?

To be clear, I'm not blaming you for this situation - the problem is that there exist "closed sources" at all (why??) - but that doesn't seem like a good excuse for deleting work without a clear path to ensuring it is preserved (and the simplest way to do that is to do it yourself). Obviously I'd do it myself if I could.

Thanks.