RFR: JDK-8308398 Move SunEC crypto provider into java.base

Alan Bateman alanb at openjdk.org
Mon Jun 19 06:19:07 UTC 2023

On Mon, 19 Jun 2023 05:46:34 GMT, Anthony Scarpino <ascarpino at openjdk.org> wrote:

> From what I was told, the native library was one of the reasons it was not in the base pkg before modularization and just remained so afterwards.

Maybe you are thinking about the size of libsunec or non-technical issues that meant it wasn't included by some distributions? There weren't an issue with deciding which providers to include to java.base. I think the motivation for having the SunEC provider in java.base now is probably TLS so there are more secure cipher suites available for those that create a small run-image with jlink and don't include all security providers.