[External] : Re: PrivilegedAction et al and JEP411

Ron Pressler ron.pressler at oracle.com
Fri Jun 23 10:10:55 UTC 2023

> On 23 Jun 2023, at 08:16, Peter Firmstone <peter.firmstone at zeus.net.au> wrote:
>

> When someone comes up with a simpler design, I'm all up for the effectiveness challenge, I'm pretty sure that whatever it is, we'll blow it away both on performance and effectiveness, we've had years to perfect it, but I would also happily be proven wrong and challenge OpenJDK to implement something that does.

The simpler design I was referring to is performing the low-level access checks in the OS (sometimes in cooperation with the hardware), not the JDK, and, more importantly, having a policy that treats the entire application as a black box with no regard to its composition and can even be shared among different applications, even those written in different languages. The first part is the same design chosen by all languages/platforms that allow the use of native code, and the second part is the same design chosen by pretty much every platform/language, certainly mainstream ones.

— Ron