RFR: 8311043: Remove trailing blank lines in source files

David Holmes dholmes at openjdk.org
Thu Jun 29 12:14:55 UTC 2023

On Wed, 28 Jun 2023 16:54:51 GMT, Leo Korinth <lkorinth at openjdk.org> wrote:

> Remove trailing "blank" lines in source files.
>
> I like to use global-whitespace-cleanup-mode, but I can not use it if the files are "dirty" to begin with. This fix will make more files "clean". I also considered adding a check for this in jcheck for Skara, however it seems jcheck code handling hunks does not track end-of-files. Thus I will only clean the files.
>
> The fix removes trailing lines matching ^[[:space:]]*$ in
>
> - *.java
> - *.cpp
> - *.hpp
> - *.c
> - *.h
>
> I have applied the following bash script to each file:
>
>     file="$1"
>
>     while [[ $(tail -n 1 "$file") =~ ^[[:space:]]*$ ]]; do
>         truncate -s -1 "$file"
>     done
>
> `git diff --ignore-space-change --ignore-blank-lines  master` displays no changes
> `git diff --ignore-blank-lines  master` displays one change

Neither the PR diffs nor the webrev make it easy to see exactly what is being changed here. It appeared to me that the last empty line of each file was being deleted, leaving no newline at the end.

But to me this is too disruptive with no tangible benefit. And you need buy-in from all the different areas affected by this.