RFR: 8315968: Consolidate java.util.Digits and StringLatin1::PACKED_DIGITS [v2]

Claes Redestad redestad at openjdk.org
Sun Sep 10 21:20:47 UTC 2023

On Sun, 10 Sep 2023 18:08:44 GMT, Roger Riggs <rriggs at openjdk.org> wrote:

>> 温绍锦 has updated the pull request incrementally with one additional commit since the last revision:
>>
>>   move java.util.DecimalDigits to jdk.internal.util.DecimalDigits
>
> src/java.base/share/classes/java/util/Digits.java line 36:
>
>> 34:  * @since 21
>> 35:  */
>> 36: sealed interface Digits permits HexDigits, OctalDigits {
>
> Don't break up the trio, move all three classes and the interface to jdk.internal.util.
> I don't see the value in the INSTANCE values but keep it intact.

I agree with @RogerRiggs that these should be moved together and with as few changes as possible. We can do redesigns in follow-ups.

I'd be OK with adding static variants of each method as needed, leaving the instance methods unchanged.

I'll note that these `java.util.Digits` came in as part of what's currently a preview feature (https://openjdk.org/jeps/430) and the author (@JimLaskey) might have plans that requires an implementation that could be passed around in the final version - so design changes should be coordinated with him.