RFR: 8291555: Implement alternative fast-locking scheme [v26]

David Holmes dholmes at openjdk.org
Thu Mar 16 05:48:31 UTC 2023

@rkennke The changed to fixed-size lock stack was a significant change as you note and that suggested to me that the design was still in flux. So I have to wonder whether everything is in fact now stable? (or as stable as one should expect for an experimental new feature)

> Fast-locking doesn't really say anything and it's not (meant to be) faster than the previous stack-locking.

Agreed. But I don't think "Thin locks" is an option as that was specifically an IBM locking implementation. Historically Hotspot's locking mechanism has internally been referred to as stack-locks, so I would suggest UseNewStackLocks