<Swing Dev> [10] Review request for 8182041: File Chooser Shortcut Panel folders under on JDK 9

Semyon Sadetsky semyon.sadetsky at oracle.com
Wed Dec 6 17:39:34 UTC 2017

On 12/06/2017 08:33 AM, Phil Race wrote:

> Hi,
> I have some additional comments on this old review thread. Hopefully
> we can close it out soon
> although it will need a CSR whatever ..
>
> Since the implementation of ShellFolderManager filters out
> inaccessible files we
> should document this somewhere.
> I suggest either on the class or relevant methods saying something like
> "Files or resources which are not accessible in the current security
> context
> may be filtered out from the returned set".
>
> The word "may" is key here ..
This looks to me like implementation details. I agree that it is worth
to mention this problematic in the method spec but since it is a generic
method for different platforms it probably should be given in a
different form than a particular platform specific solution. If the
entries of the list are virtual they may not have any file system
permissions at all.

> If we are sure that this is always the case then it would follow that
> SecurityException
> does not need to be documented.
> Consistency would suggest that then this policy would extend to the
> other methods
> added in JDK 9 which declare that exception. So all or none.
> Being a RuntimeException that is not checked I think we can compatibly
> remove those.
This is not consistent with other JDK classes in which the
SecurityException is always mentioned, for example, the java.awt.Desktop
class and there are many others. I think it would be non-practical to
rewrite all other specs because you've changed your mind in this
particular fix review.
Also, in this fix review [1]  you brought an opposite point of view.

[1]
http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/swing-dev/2015-October/005073.html

--Semyon