java.lang.constant.ClassDesc and TypeDescriptor for hidden class??

forax at univ-mlv.fr forax at univ-mlv.fr
Tue Apr 14 09:59:07 UTC 2020

> De: "Peter Levart" <peter.levart at gmail.com>

:)

I think part of the issue here is that we don't agree about what descriptorString() is,
The javadoc of TypeDescriptor.descriptorString() said that
"[it] ... must be either a field type descriptor (JVMS 4.3.2) or method type descriptor (JVMS 4.3.3)"

So it should be a *valid* descriptor, the problem with option c' is not valid because it changes the semantics of descriptorString().

Moreover, the javadoc of Class.descriptorString() explicitly reference Class.forName() and said that descriptorString() that is an incomplete dual of Class.forName(),
so again, returning a non valid descriptor to have it to fail to resolve later is in my opinion non conform to the described semantics.

So yes, you can print a non valid descriptor but that's not the point, the point is that there is no valid descriptor for a hidden class because you can not resolve a hidden class back to an equivalent runtime class.

> Regards, Peter

regards,
Rémi