Progress of value classes

Brian Goetz brian.goetz at oracle.com
Mon May 22 16:55:12 UTC 2023

 From a *design* perspective, you are correct that most of the
discussion has been on "B3" classes, which raises the reasonable
question of "can we ship B2 while this discussion plays out."  For a
long time, we've felt uncomfortable doing so, because until we had a
reasonable story for B3 in which we had high confidence, the risk of a
premature B2 release constraining the bigger story was still high.

We feel now that we're approaching the point where the B3 story is
converging to the desired confidence level that B2 will not be
destabilized.  So we're able to proceed more directly on that.

As to scheduling, the answer is as always: it's ready when it's ready.
Even though the design has settled, there is still specification,
implementation, and testing work to do, so it will take some more time.
But I think this train can start moving faster soon.  It's not that
there are "blockers", but there is plenty of work.