Quick questions about parallelism and some amber features

David Alayachew davidalayachew at gmail.com
Sat Apr 22 01:15:43 UTC 2023

Hello Steve,

Thank you for your response!

> It feels to me that Boolean short circuiting in
> conditionals and statement ordering in switches would
> both preclude parallel evaluation of conditions

I'm actually expecting you to be correct here.

The reason I originally asked this question is because I have been doing a
lot of study into when and where parallelism starts to become useful when
coding in Java. Long story short, it improves performance way earlier than
I ever expected. And not only that, Java actually does a whole bunch of
parallelism itself under the hood too. Compilation, class loading, etc. I
thought I knew the threshold at which parallelism would start being useful,
but apparently it's way earlier than I thought.

> absent some infective constery to wave away side effects

Google does not seem to be much help. What does this quote mean?

> In any event - do you envisage any benefit from parallel
> evaluation? On such scales would runtime cost not be
> dominated by dispatch and synchronisation?

Well at this point, I have no idea. I don't really know where the ceiling
is anymore, so I am testing out (what I think is) a complete long shot,
just to give myself an upper bound here. Worst case is they say no, which
is what I am expecting.

Thank you for your time!
David Alayachew